Re: [avr-libc-dev] Question on Optimizations with Linking

From: Björn Haase
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Question on Optimizations with Linking
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:28:35 +0100

> Björn has prepared extended linker optimizations
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/avr-libc-dev/2005-10/msg00042.html)
> that also cover the --gc-sections bit.  That work is currently integrated
> in the binutils development.
The most recent discussions are available on the binutils mailing list. It's
not yet in the source tree since I don't currently find time to work on it
due to my job, but I consider the last version I have posted to be
sufficiently stable for beta testing. We are already using it for production
use.

The most important optimization IMO is linker relaxation. I.e. the combination
of --gc-sections and -Wl,--relax -Wl,--gc-sections . After my experience on
our production applications you could estimate to gain between 500 bytes and
1k for a 16k device. It depends on how many tiny functions your application
is using.

Bjoern.