[avr-libc-dev] Email delivery problems: lists.gnu.org listed in spamcop.

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Email delivery problems: lists.gnu.org listed in spamcop.net
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:20:24 +0100

spamcop.net apparently lists lists.gnu.org (the mail relay that is
used to send out messages for all gnu.org/nongnu.org mailing lists) in
its database.  As a number of MTAs on this world obviously rely on
their service (however dubious that might appear), this caused many
emails to bounce and thus mailman suspended delivery to all people
whose email bounced.

My personal guess is that this is related to some spammer (or some
self-proclaimed spamcop?) starting to abuse followup-comment fields in
the web interface for patch/bug/task/support trackers of the
individual projects hosted on savannah today.  Sigh.  avr-libc was
also affected, and we immediately restricted followup comments to only
be sent by logged-in users, but many other projects might still be
open to that kind of attack.  spamcop won't tell anyone about their
reasons, go figure.

As all those who are affected cannot get this message through the
list interface, I'm Bcc'ing any of those addressees I got knowledge
about.