Re: [avr-libc-dev] Great Header File Reorg done.

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Great Header File Reorg done.
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:22:55 +0100

As Dmitry K. wrote:

> > I've bumped the library version date once again, as I feel we are
> > close to 1.4.0 now.

> What about to include patches #3729, #3851 ?

I finally found the time to have a closer look onto them again.

I much appreciate the work you did with them, and I'm certain they
will become a nice addition/replacement to the library.  Alas, I feel
by holding back the release of avr-libc 1.4.0 for the amount of time
to incorporate these changes, I'm afraid to defer the release
indefinately.  After all, these changes are no API changes as such, so
they don't require a new minor version number.  Thorough integration
of all your work will require quite a bit of time, both because the
patches itself are quite large (which needs testing), as well as
because the documentation still needs to be written.  I understand if
you don't want to write English documentation as it is not your native
language, but I also know that writing documentation takes up its own
share of time as well, so someone else has to do that then.

However, my plans are to have a 1.4.1 followup release within not too
much time after 1.4.0, and if I see Eric Weddington's current
timeframe, it appears next WinAVR will rather get 1.4.1 instead of
1.4.0 anyway.  The pro side of this is that shipping 1.4.0 will give
us some more public exposure, and thus feedback, so should any other
issues arise, they could be solved before 1.4.1 as well.