[avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] assert.h not available!?

From: Dave Hansen
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] assert.h not available!?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:47:29 -0400

From: Eric Weddington <address@hidden>

Torsten Landschoff wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering why assert.h is missing on avr. I am writing my own
assert.h over and over so I'd like to have it in avr-libc as I assume
that others would like to have it as well.

The default action on assertion failure could be to dump a message to
stderr and I'd suggest to make it configurable to use other means of reporting failure.

What do you think?

The devil's in the details. What other means did you have in mind?

FWIW, at a PPOE on a different architecture, I set up the assertion failure to generate a breakpoint in the debugger with a software interrupt. Low overhead, and quite effective.

However, IIRC, not all AVRs support the break instruction. I'm not sure if or how something like this could be made portable across the line...

But this post is more appropriate for the avr-libc-dev list (which is now in the CC list). I suggest moving this thread over there.

I'm not subscribed to that group, and my internet access has been (and is probably going to remain) sporadic for a while. Hope you guys can stand the noise over here...

Regards,
  -=Dave