RE: [avr-libc-dev] RFD: more avr-libc API changes

From: Darcy Watkins
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] RFD: more avr-libc API changes
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 07:20:58 -0700

Hi,

I did some more work on an experimetal utility to parse the part description
XML files from AVRStudio into device specific include files. I still have to
do a bit more work on it, but I think that the idea will work.  I was able
to generate vector macros, register macros and bit macros from the
information in the XML files.

Unfortunately there are a few descrepancies in naming since Atmel shorten
some of the names such as:
  OVERFLOW ==> OVF
  COMPARE ==> COMP
  INTERRUPT ==> INT

I suppose that we could deprecate the more verbose names and have
compatibility macros defined that would apply the extra substituion.  One
set of these ought to work for all processors.  e.g.

#define SIG_INTERRUPT7  SIG_INT7

etc...

It would only be necessary to implement this for legacy, not for additions.
For example if they added SIG_INT9 to a new device, it wouldn't be necessary
to add a substitution macro for it since there wouldn't be any legacy
firmware using it.

On the other hand, perhaps just keep the existing include files for legacy
and don't use them for newer parts.  For newer parts (and newer projects),
it would be possible to just add a makefile rule to run the utility to
generate the CPU specific include file.  Of course the utility would have to
become part of the WinAVR tool distribution then, but that wouldn't be a
problem.

Regards,

Darcy

Darcy L. Watkins             email: address@hidden
Senior Software Developer++  phone: (604) 455-2000
TASC Systems, Inc.           fax:   (604) 888-2712
9415 - 202 Street,           web:   http://www.tascsystems.com
Langley B.C. Canada V1M 4B5