Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avr-libc-dev] RFD: more avr-libc API changes

From: Wojtek Kaniewski
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avr-libc-dev] RFD: more avr-libc API changes
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:11:31 +0200

Joerg Wunsch wrote):
How about changing the name to "ISR," which would do the same thing
as the existing "SIGNAL"?

Then, SIGNAL and INTERRUPT can both be deprecated (avoiding future
confusion).

It has been suggested before, but so far, nobody else seemed to
care about that suggestion.

I'm open for it.  I'd probably rather deprecate SIGNAL with a much
lower priority than INTERRUPT, as there's no strong need to force that
change upon virtually every AVR-GCC program around, but I don't mind
such a change.

How about...

   #define VECTOR(signame) \
   void SIG_ ## signame (void) __attribute__ ((interrupt)); \
   void SIG_ ## signame (void)

This way it would get closer to Atmel's datasheets. Instead of...

   SIGNAL(SIG_ADC)
   {
        // ...
   }

one could simply use:

   VECTOR(ADC)
   {
        // ...
   }

I'm aware that there's already _VECTOR(x) macro, but as it's internal to avr-libc, it shouldn't cause any confustion.

Regards,
Wojtek