RE: [avr-libc-dev] [task #3693][task #4102] Add new devices: mega640-128

From: Darcy Watkins
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] [task #3693][task #4102] Add new devices: mega640-1280-1281-2560-2561
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 07:56:32 -0700

Hi,

Just to let you know.  I have just soldered an ATmega2561 to plug into an old
Kanda STK300 board so I'll be in a position to check out some 256x related
changes to the tool set.

Also, I noticed that there is no include files for the new parts.  That must be
part of the effort to support new parts.

Has anyone thought of parsing the XML files that are supplied with AVR Studio
to generate the include files.  I played with the PugXML parser available at
thecodeproject.com and have so far been able to generate signal macros from the
interrupt vector definitions.

I think it can be made to work, but some of the macro names may have to change
as a result, for example, instead of SIG_INTERRUPT0 it generates SIG_INT0.  But
I think that backwards compatibility can be accomplished using macros like:
  #define SIG_INTERRUPT0 SIG_INT0

An alternative would be to code in some additional substitution rules while
parsing the XML files.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

Regards,

Darcy

Darcy L. Watkins             email: address@hidden
Senior Software Developer++  phone: (604) 455-2000
TASC Systems, Inc.           fax:   (604) 888-2712
9415 - 202 Street,           web:   http://www.tascsystems.com
Langley B.C. Canada V1M 4B5