Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] Please have a look at avr-libc pat

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] Please have a look at avr-libc patch #3750
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:37:12 +0200

Björn Haase wrote:

Russell Shaw wrote on Montag, 5. September 2005 02:39 :
I'd rather adapt to a newer and better api than continue with old junk.
I agree. One should be prepared to face a flaming war on this list, but I think that a substantial improvement is worth to endure this.

Bjoern

Hi.

From an avr-libc-user point of view:

- having 'stream' sent to put/get is nice, since, with the current lib, I have a 'put' function per stream and these functions just call the same central function with the character to write + stream to use.. So Ted's
patch fits nicely.

- I do not use fdevopen() because it calls malloc() and I don't need malloc/free/calloc anywhere else. So
I have init code like:

 (Stream)->putc=putc_serial;
 (Stream)->flags |= __SWR;

and provide an empty fdevopen() function..

So IMHO, having to drop this for  a cleaner system is no problem.

- I'd like a system where I reserve memory myself for a given stream and provide it to avr-libc.

- I'd like to be able to use only stdout and not having to reserve memory for stdin/stderr if I do not need
them. (or use only stdin and not stdout/err, etc)

- I do not have many projects yet to maintain for the AVR family, so I don't care much about backward
compatibility but others may think differently.

 Bernard