Re: [avr-libc-dev] User-visible library version numbers

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] User-visible library version numbers
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:55:17 +0200

As Bob Paddock wrote:

> 'releaselevel' sounds better than _PATCHLEVEL_ which implies bugs,
> and _TINY_ is a bit to vague, since there are TINY AVR parts.

Well, yes.

> > I feel the standardized macro to have a single test for a
> > particular release to be a big win.

> Yes to both items, single and three-piece.

OK, bought.

As E. Weddington wrote:

> I can't think of a better name than _TINY_. Yes, I agree that
> patchlevel and releaselevel seem cumbersome.

Hmm, so we've got different opinions on that.  Any other suggestions?

__AVR_LIBC_MICRO__
__AVR_LIBC_STEP__
__AVR_LIBC_REVISION__

?

> I agree. All in parallel. Do 3 piece macros and then one where
> they're combined. However, to be consistent with GCC, I vote for the
> combined name being:

> __AVR_LIBC_VERSION__

It seems we've got full agreement on that, and __AVR_LIBC_VERSION__ is
fine by me.  How to call the version string (like "1.4.0") then?
__AVR_LIBC_VERSION_STRING__?  Accompanied by
__AVR_LIBC_VERSION_DATE__, which is also a string (like "20050829")?