Re: [avr-libc-dev] User-visible library version numbers

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] User-visible library version numbers
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:57:28 -0600

Joerg Wunsch wrote:

I'm not that happy about `patchlevel' (actually, it's probably rather
`releaselevel' for us, but as the release number consist of all three
elements, that would be confusing), that's why I've been searching for
a different name.  I'm open for better suggestions though.
I can't think of a better name than _TINY_. Yes, I agree that patchlevel and releaselevel seem cumbersome.

Yes.

#ifdef __GNUC__

#define __GCC_VERSION__ (__GNUC__ * 10000 \
                               + __GNUC_MINOR__ * 100 \
                               + __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__)

But then, why not offer that as __AVR_LIBC_RELEASE__ right from the
beginning?  (Perhaps in parallel with the three-piece macros.)  I feel
the standardized macro to have a single test for a particular release
to be a big win.
I agree. All in parallel. Do 3 piece macros and then one where they're combined. However, to be consistent with GCC, I vote for the combined name being:
__AVR_LIBC_VERSION__

Ok?