Re: [avr-libc-dev] Are there any autoconf/automake experts around?

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Are there any autoconf/automake experts around?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:22:57 -0700

Hi J"org,

On 8/15/05, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> With the new setup, it seems automake insists on have a "C compiler
> that can create executables", no matter what I'm trying.  Of course,
> on a virgin system, avr-gcc cannot create an "executable" in
> automake's opinion, as there is no library (yet).  All this must
> somehow happen inside the single call to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE...  I have
> yet to find out how to disable that check.  Documentation on this,
> well, seems to be a bit sparse...

Not an expert my any means but I've messaed around with things a bit.

Even without the run-time library, you should still be able to produce
an "executable" (using the -nostdlib options et al).

Building a normal gcc compiler (I haven't played withy 4.x yet) goes
through a multi-stage process of building a gcc with no runtime,
followed by building the runtime. followed by building the final gcc
with runtime. I've been using the uClibc build scripts to do this for
linux based systems. So, something similar should be possible for
avr-gcc as well.

Can you send the configure script being used? (perhaps off-list since
it will be quite large).

Which version of automake/autoconf are you using?

What would I need to do to reproduce your environment? I haven't yet
tried building any version of avr-gcc but have built numerous arm
compilers. Are you running under linux or cygwin?

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada