Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: New layout for documentation

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: New layout for documentation
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:01:02 +0200

As Wojtek Kaniewski wrote:

[Btw., your missing capitalization makes reading your message rather
hard.]

> >Well, I'm really glad people love it.  It's always hard to know
> >whether stylistic changes like this one actually match other
> >people's opinions as well.

> then probably i must be the only one that dislikes the new design.

Perhaps, yes. ;-)

> it looks more like mid-'90s homepage, than a user manual of a
> project that's being used by thousands of programmers all over the
> world.

Can you explain in more detail?

> the previous tree structure was in fact troublesome because of the
> frames, but the current lacks of hierarchy and consistent subpage
> naming convention.

I see your point.  Alas, we've got little to no control about those
things that are generated by doxygen itself.  I tried to give more
descriptive names in the links on top as these are under our control.
So doxygens "Modules" rather refer to our library reference, while
doxygens "Pages" refer to additional documentation.

> besides, the wider paragraphs are, the more tiring reading is.

Sure, but what do you think could be done about that in plain HTML
rendering?  Just drag your browser window to be narrower.  Sorry,
there's again no freedom of choice here.

We all know that doxygen, well, is not quite optimal for the task
here, but changing the entire documentation to something else (like
docbook) is a major task and nothing that could be done as a weekend
project.  Volunteers welcome!

> btw, is it possible to modify list configuration so the Reply-to
> pointed the list instead of sender?

Possible but not desired.  I've had the `luck' to once be subscribed
to such a list myself, and I've seen more than one supposedly very
personal mail escaping to the list that way...  GNU mailman offers the
feature, but discourages its use as well.  Use an MUA that offers you
that functionality.  (I'm using Mutt, and if I want my reply to go to
the list only, I just hit "L" instead of "g".)