Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: New layout for documentation

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: New layout for documentation
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 07:10:28 +0200

As E. Weddington wrote:

> >Opinions?

> Sweet!

Fine!

> How soon can you get it up on the avr-libc web site?! ;-)

As the web site by convention documents the latest stable release: as
soon as 1.4.0 is out.  (See below.)

My intention was to apply all those new device patches that are marked
as `Ready for testing' in the task manager, maybe a bugfix or two, and
then branch off 1.4.  The revision number bump is due to requiring new
versions of the tools, in particular the auto* tools, but now also a
new doxygen is required.

> Thank you *very* much for doing this! This looks great!

I'm glad that all those who gave some feedback love it.  I felt the
old layout became really boring over time.

> And I like that you've brought out a link to the FAQ at the top of
> the page, and you've put in an introduction.

I always wanted something better than the tree view we used to have.
First, we had no influence about what went into the tree and what not,
and there's always been the problem that if you gave out someone the
URL of the FAQ, he had no easy link back to the top of the
documentation tree.  After looking a bit deeper, it wasn't all that
difficult, as doxygen allows for customized HTML headers and footers
that will be put into each page -- this has always been there, we only
didn't use it to also put some links into that by now.

> Fantastic! I have some ideas that I would like to implement about
> ordering some of the sections a little differently (about 2 years
> ago I had a patch for this that I put up for RFC here, but it didn't
> really go anywhere afterward).

That would be fine,too.

Btw., it should not be too hard for you to run doxygen itself (I think
it's part of Cygwin).  You can always disable the PS and PDF docs as
they require LaTeX, but generating plain HTML doesn't need LaTeX.  (It
needs netpbm, transfig and ghostscript I think, in order to convert
the images from Xfig format to EPS and then to PNG.)

> So, thanks for putting everything in CVS. Is it only in HEAD? or is
> it also in the 1.2 branch?

As I've made all the changes on top of upgrading doxygen.config.in to
the template used by doxygen 1.4.1, I'm no longer sure it will work
with the old doxygen that was in use on the 1.2 branch (and seriously,
I don't want to uninstall my newer version, and install an old one
just for that).  Thus it's only on HEAD, except those few things in
the main page and EEPROM library where the non-reentrancy is
explained.  See above, I'd rather like to step forward with a 1.4.0
release within not too much time.  That doesn't mean 1.2 needs to die
immediately, we can always backport any important bugfixes there, but
I'd like to push development a bit by using the new auto* tools now
that Anatoly did all that work to bring our tree up-to-date for the
latest tools.  After all, we could also finally get rid of all those
dreadful ./do* scripts along with that upgrade, and are now using the
rather standard process of calling configure directly (only you need
to explicitly give it a --host=avr argument).