[avr-libc-dev] "autconf" branch merged back to HEAD

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] "autconf" branch merged back to HEAD
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:01:20 +0200

I just merged the "autoconf" branch back to the HEAD of CVS.

You do need current versions of autoconf and automake (2.57 and 1.7
needed, 2.59 and 1.9 resp. recommended).  The old "doconf" and
"domake" scripts are gone!  "reconf" has been renamed "bootstrap" now,
as this is a more generic name.

Note that this will open the 1.4 stable branch anytime soon, as
according to our policy, the old stable branch must not get any
changes that require a different set of tools.

Many thanks to Ted Roth who once started that branch, and did the
initial work on upgrading the build system.  This had been done then
for a per-device lib approach that we've been favorizing, and the
result of that experiment was that we eventually noticed this would
multiply the compilation times drastically.  Anatoly Sokolov recently
improve the scripts for current versions of the auto* tools, and
re-converted them for our classic per-arch lib approach.

I did my best to verify we did not lose any of our changes that have
been done at the HEAD of CVS when merging the files from the branch
back, but folks, please do test this now so we can be very sure I did
not forget anything.  Unfortunately, the resulting libraries have a
slightly different internal organization so they cannot be compared on
a byte-by-byte basis.