Re: [avr-libc-dev] Not building crtm32.0

From: Björn Haase
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Not building crtm32.0
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:18:56 +0200

Joerg Wunsch wrote on Mittwoch, 3. August 2005 21:55 :
> As Curtis Maloney wrote:
> > In that case, someone should fix the INSTALL file in the tarball.
> > Although it starts with a note saying "doconf" is the simplest way,
> > it still goes on with a lot of other generic 'configure' stuff.
> >
> > I just looked for the "Basic Installation" heading, and went from
> > there, as I'm sure many others will.
>
> OK, I've added a strong emphasize to the top comment about using
> doconf.

good idea. I actually had initially exactly the same problem as Curtis
Maloney.
IMO, the key problem is: When using the standard procedure of "configure /
make", *something* happens and you don't recognize immediately that there is
something wrong with the commands you are issuing but you rather think that
you forgot to install some of the prerequisites of the package :-(. Maybe one
would have been better of by *not* providing a script named configure but a
configure script renamed to some other nonstandard name.

Yours,

Björn