[avr-libc-dev] bootloader assembly code not loading in debug format

From: Naval Shah
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] bootloader assembly code not loading in debug format
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:18:06 -0700

Hi,

I have tried using the code given in the avr-libc manual (FAQ question 17)
to set up the bootloader section and put the boot_test function into the
section. What happens is that when I load the .hex file into AVR Studio 4
(latest version) the code in the bootloader is filled in with what I wanted.
However, if I load the elf or coff file, there is just FFFF in all the
bootloader code. When I see the disassembly, it shows the C code and has a
bunch of opcodes underneath, but they're all FFFF.

The .map file says the .bootloader section is in the right place and I have
done the appropriate modification of the address depending on whether the
address is a byte or word address. Also, the .lss file shows the boot_test
function at 3800 and shows all the assembly as well... as it should.
However, again, that assembly code is all FFFF when I use elf/coff in AVR
Studio debug mode.

So I have the following:
1) put BOOTLOADER_SECTION beside the prototype for boot_test
2) added the appropriate LDFLAGS +=
-Wl,--section-start=.bootloader=0x00003800

Relevant information :I'm using avr-gcc and the winavr suite of tools. I
have tried both an ATmega16, as well as an ATmega32. I have issues with both
when trying to load boot_test inside the bootloader section I define.

Could this be a problem with the translator to elf/coff formats? The .hex
seems to work fine.

Could it be an option I am missing in the makefile to deal with the elf/coff
formats??

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated. If anyone has any pointers on what to look
at or anything I have forgotten to do.

Naval Shah

Firmware Engineer