Re: [avr-libc-dev] Suggestion for FAQ entry - LD vs. GCC

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Suggestion for FAQ entry - LD vs. GCC
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:36:02 -0800

Hi Onno,

> If one tries to build an AVR program the usual linux way:
>
> $ avr-gcc -c hello-world.c
> $ avr-ld -o hello-world.elf hello-world.o

Hmmm. I would say that the "usual" way to link any program is to use
gcc. Calling ld directly inevitably leads to some kind of grief.

Having worked with gcc on a large number of architectures and
platforms, using gcc to do the link always causes fewer problems, even
for embedded platforms.

This is even more the case when you start using C++ (in which case you
need to use g++ to do the linking, not just gcc).

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada