[avr-libc-dev] Re: WinAVR version numbers and patches

From: Anton Erasmus
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: WinAVR version numbers and patches
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:16:50 +0200

On 17 Mar 2005 at 14:28, E. Weddington wrote:

> Anton Erasmus wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have started to build the "Linux WinAVR" package.
> >
> Hmm. I haven't been observant recently. See more down at the bottom.
>
> >I have also managed to compile simulavr by hand. It fails while
> >building examples with an error message saying that -m avr85xx
> >option not supported with avr-ld. I can manualy fix it by changing
> >the Makefile.in with one of the supported options avr1, avr2, avr3,
> >avr4, avr5. Do you have a patch for this by any chance ?
> >

> I *configure* simulavr with the --disable-tests flag. I couldn't get
> it to build otherwise, so Ted Roth (the original author) said to use
> that.

On Linux it works when changing the option to -m avr4, which I think
is the correct architecture for the 8515. I will see if I can generate a
patch file for this.

> >I have downloaded a package simulavrxx-0.8.005.tar.gz which
> >seems to be newer than simulavr 0.1.2.1 which you used for WinAVR. Is
> >there any particular reason why you are not using version 0.8.005 ?
> >

> Because it is unknown whether simulavrxx even builds on Cygwin. And I
> haven't had time to try it.

I have had some issues even when building on RH9. This is most likely to
be finger trouble since, I am still getting to grips with all the many things
under Linux.

> >I have not managed to track down the source for dwarfdump 20041122.
> >Where can I download this from ?
> >

> <http://reality.sgi.com/davea/>

Thanks I have found it.

> Unfortunately, I've been able to build dwarfdump successfully, but
> there's something wrong it as it won't produce any output! (At least
> for my platform.) I have an open bug tracker for this at the WinAVR
> project.

I have not yet tried to build it. I will first see if I can build under Linux,
and
if succesful I will build under cygwin and see if I get the same problem as
you got.

> >Did you use a patch on the insight source ? From a very quick test,
> >it seems that the version 6.1 suffers from the same bug as
> >arm-elf-insight, where insight produces an error when one tries to
> >open the registers window. (There was a brief discussion of this bug
> >on the yahoo gnuarm list)
> >

> See the attached file gdbtk-register.c. This is CVS revision 1.25 of
> the file, which is supposed to fix Insight PR #259. Copy over the file
> located at /gdb/gdbtk/generic/gdbtk-register.c

Thanks.

> ---------------------------------
>
> I just realized that there is someone else interested in creating a
> Linux version of the toolset. I've been talking with him and Joerg and
> Colin in a seperate, private thread.
>
> I'm going to be starting a thread on avr-libc about this and CC you
> and the other guy.

Ok, I have CC'd to the avr-libc list as well.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

--
A J Erasmus