[avr-libc-dev] Re: AVR toolset on Linux, Mac?

From: Anton Erasmus
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: AVR toolset on Linux, Mac?
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:16:50 +0200

On 17 Mar 2005 at 14:44, E. Weddington wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> I just realized that I've had two seperate private threads going about
> getting the AVR toolset built for the Linux platform.
>
> Anton, meet Knut. Knut, meet Anton. :-)
> You both are interested in reproducing WinAVR on Linux and have asked
> me seperately about information.
>
> Since the departure of Ted Roth from the project, there has been a
> vacuum in the Linux community for binary distributions (lets call them
> "distros") of the AVR toolset. Some people know of the existance of
> the "cdk4avr" project on SF: ......... I just did a quick check for it
> and now I can't seem to find it on SF. Perhaps it's defunct and been
> removed? Anyway, that *used* to be the only known Linux distro of the
> AVR toolset, but last I heard it was out-of-date.

> Right now, there's Jörg Wunsch who maintains the FreeBSD distro, and I
> maintain the Windows distro. There's really no one doing a Linux
> distro. And Brian Dean is probably the most knowledgable about the AVR
> Toolset on the Mac.
>
> Anton, Knut, would you both be interested in working together to
> produce a Linux distro? Colin, are you interested in this too?
> Inlcuding producing whatever is needed for installation, say RPMs? I'm
> not familiar in this area; I don't know which Linux distros you would
> be interested in and whether RPM's are necessary.

I am still learning, and am very far away from being expert in generating
Linux distros. I have found that the available rpms always seem to be out
of date, and one need different rpms for every different Linux ditro. I think
a script which takes a defined set of source archives and patches and generates
a working toolset is the best. Especially if one can download all the necessary
archives
from one place. a build script similar to the one by Rod Moffit at
http://rod.info/bin/software/buildavr.sh
This builds the compiler, library and debugger. It is easy to modify to use
newer
versions of the various archives. With only small changes I have been able to
generate the compiler and library to have a "WinAVR" equivalent on Linux.
I will try and generate a separate script (Based on this script) to build the
other components available in "WinAVR" distribution.

> Anyone know where RPMs might be hosted? Jörg, isn't it correct that
> Savannah frowns on hosting binaries? Perhaps SourceForge would be ok?

I think just having the specific archives together with a build script would be
sufficient to get most people going. One can add fairly simple "Monkey-see
Monkey Do"
instructions which should make "Anyone" able to build and install the tools
under Linux.
"Anyone" who would have a hope in hell of getting an AVR going at least.

> Brian, do you host any binary installations of the AVR toolset for the
> Mac? If not, do you know of anyone who does? Do you know what format
> would be required for Mac?
>
> I think that would just leave Solaris as the only platform left
> without a binary distro... :-)
>
> Thanks everyone
> Eric

Regards