Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Patches to add mega325-3250-645-6450 to binutils

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Patches to add mega325-3250-645-6450 to binutils and gcc.
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:33:58 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> >With a small change in LIB_SPEC ("%{mmcu=*:-lavr-%*}" added), GCC
> >should be able to look for a small per-device library (such as
> >libavr-atmega128.a) in addition to the generic (per-core) libc.a.
> >With the correct link order, a per-device library can override
> >libc.a to provide better optimized device-specific functions.

> What a great idea!

I like it, too.

> What if the library doesn't exist? Would it error? Or just silently
> continue?

Well, if all else fails, you can always drop a dummy lib there as a
placeholder.

> >BTW, if we forget backwards compatibility with DOS 8.3, [...] GCC
> >spec strings could be simplified a lot, ...

> I would heartily agree to this.

I'm all for it, too.  Heck, it took a long time until finally someone
had the heart to continue maintaining a Windows version of the
toolchain, I don't think how it would ever going to be ported to CP/M-
like systems at all.

> Could you give a little more detail in how/where the spec strings
> could be simplified?

If you just say "avr-gcc -v", it'll tell you which specs file it is
using.  Just look at the file, there's a section *crt_binutils where
it maps the -mmcu option to the CRT filename.