[avr-libc-dev] program space

From: Curtis Maloney
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] program space
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:49:19 +1100

I realise this is more something for the gcc side of things, however...

Today at work I was trying to migrate some CodeVisionAVR code to GCC. CV makes it trivial to store stuff in EEPROM or FLASH, you just use the appropriate modifies on the variable declaration.

Of course, in the "non-target-specific" world of GCC, things are a little different. But when trying to specify that a structure was in code space, I just could not achieve it. I tried everything I could think of, but it just wouldn't work right.

And now I'm trying to move some big const tables into code space, instead of ram, so I can use my code on an 8535, but it requires making some significant changes to the test of my code to make it reference the code space.

Now, what I'm wondering is why can't some special attribute on vars be passed through to the back end so it a)puts it in .text, and b)knows to generate code-space accesses?

Or have I missed something fundamental?

--
Curtis Maloney