Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bugs #4101] setjmp/longjmp destroy changes in global

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bugs #4101] setjmp/longjmp destroy changes in global registers
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 14:53:56 -0700

Paul Schlie wrote:

From: Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden>
As Paul Schlie wrote:
- yes and no, asm routines would need to manually exclude their use,
compiled code would automatically use them or not depending on if
the registers were declared as being reserved or not at compile
time.
But only if you recompile the entire library together with your own
sources.  I haven't heard of anyone else but you who even considered
that a useful feature.

- has nothing to do with tasteful, it's simply necessary if the result
is desired. (would be pleased if an alternative exited, but doesn't
as far as I can tell, short of modifying the target's header file,
and recompiling the compiler, which would still then necessitate
the asm routines not to touch the registers being reserved otherwise)
By all means, feel free to take the source and do what you need to do on your own copy.

As you're the only one requesting this, I wouldn't want to make this
a formal committment to the ABI though.

- actually there was a bug filed against winavr I believe, but it's
 not a compiler problem.

Oh, yeah? Show me where.

I won't worry about it, just tried to point out the solution
 to the problem if it were a desired feature,

Thanks. At this point, it is not a desired feature for a wider public audience.

Again, you're the only one requesting such a feature. There are other feature that more people are requesting. You're always free to modify the sources to your liking, and if you want, you can always submit a patch.