Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bugs #4101] setjmp/longjmp destroy changes in global

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bugs #4101] setjmp/longjmp destroy changes in global registers
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:23:40 +0100

As Paul Schlie wrote:

> - ok, I accept that possibility; please correct my misunderstanding.

We basically implement the ABI you're suggesting.

Review the entire thread, including Dmitry's testsuit, as well as his
findings about how the various GCC version do/don't save registers
when setjmp is called within a function.  If GCC worked the way GCC
3.3.x did, we could make setjmp/longjmp cooperative with global
register variables.

It appears to me that you somehow suffer from the miscomprehension
that avr-libc were mostly implemented in assembler, and that all of
our problems arise just out of this situation.  While we do have a lot
of assembler files (I'm not particularly happy with the situation
either, e.g. fplib is rather hard to maintain), they follow the exact
same ABI as the C compiler, so I don't see any difference in that.