[avr-libc-dev] Re: Considerable Compiler improvement neeeds testing

From: E. Weddington
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Considerable Compiler improvement neeeds testing
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:59:08 -0700

Björn Haase wrote:

Hi, find enclosed a mail posted by Andy Hutchinson on the address@hidden list. I forward this mail to this list since I think that this is the better forum for discussing this issue.

The story is:
It seems that the gcc internals documentation was kind of misleading and for this reason avr-gcc was not able to take benefit of a couple of optimizations that avoid useless moves across registers when dealing with variables of different byte sizes.
The change suggested by Andy Hutchinson affects one single line in
the gcc/config/avr/avr.h that presently reads
#define MODES_TIEABLE_P 0
to #define MODES_TIEABLE_P 1 . My tests have shown that *with* this change, about 15 testcases in the gcc testsuite work that did not beforehand and the code becomes considerably tighter.

Yours,

Björn

I think this is fantastic!!!

I would be sure to also CC the two maintainers of the AVR port of GCC: Marek Michalkiewicz and Denis Chertykov.
Marek is on the avr-libc-dev list so I think (I hope) he is seeing this.