Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bugs #4101] setjmp/longjmp destroy changes in global

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bugs #4101] setjmp/longjmp destroy changes in global registers
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:11:08 +0100

As Paul Schlie wrote:

> Sorry, as I may misunderstand, doesn't the 1/10/05 patch fix the
> problem?

October 1, 2005 is still in the future. ;-)

Seriously, better use ISO dates (2005-01-10) when talking on
international mailing lists, to avoid ambiguities.  Remember that not
even the British and American people agree on a common format, let
alone the remaining 95 % of the world.  (No, 2005-01-10 isn't our
native date format either, we used to write 10.01.2005, but the ISO
format is simply avoiding any possible confusion, so I prefer it over
our native format now.)

No, the latest patch worked only for GCC < 3.4.x, so we can by now
only document the current behaviour.  GCC >= 3.4.x doesn't save the
global registers when seeing a setjmp() as previous versions obviously
used to do.  Thus, setjmp/longjmp need to do this, and we're out of
luck for global register variables.