Re: [avr-libc-dev] Bug in math library

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Bug in math library
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 07:23:00 -0500

On Sunday 09 January 2005 12:01 am, Paul Schlie wrote:

> Alternatively by defining: +/-0 = +/-2^-127, +/-inf = +/-2^-127

> Thereby 0/0 = 1, not NAN,

By the rigorous rules of mathematics "division by zero is undefined".
An exception should be thrown or flagged.   I do not know where
the common idea that division by zero results in the answer of  infinity
originated.

>...it should be done prior to it's call, not afterward, etc.

I agree that it makes sense to test for zero before doing any of the
calculations.

As an interesting aside a negative zero, by law in Canada, must never be
displayed on a weight-scale.

--
                          http://www.softwaresafety.net/
 http://www.unusualresearch.com/ http://www.bpaddock.com/