Re: [avr-libc-dev] reconf

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] reconf
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:44:50 +1100

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As Russell Shaw wrote:

I'd guess it's the most obvious way. Autoconf just reads
AC_PREREQ(2.59) and compares that number with itself.

So what does it do if the version doesn't match?

Bombs out with an error message saying that version 2.50 is required.

It doesn't work.  What then?  How do I get out of this dilemma?

apt-get install autoconf ;)

You still don't understand, it seems.  As the auto* developers once
had chosen to not maintain backwards compatibility anymore, so you
cannot use the infrastructure written for old versions, and still
process it with newer versions, they have forced the remainder of the
world to install multiple versions in parallel.

Autotools are only hard to understand initially, but after that, its
easy to find why your old script doesn't work with the latest autoconf.
Users don't see any of these problems either.

/usr/bin/autoconf is just a bash script.

No, it does not exist at all.  Not even /usr/local/bin/autoconf does
exist on my machine.  Only autoconf213, autoconf253, autoconf259.

I just ran ./configure, make on the autoconf 2.59 source i have here
and it generated the same autoconf script. Does this mean you always
type the specific autoconfNNN version?