Re: [avr-libc-dev] reconf

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] reconf
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:13:03 +1100

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As Paul Schlie wrote:

Obtw., as they are all (somehow) incompatible to each other,
please note that the FreeBSD package system never installs a
binary named `autoconf' or `automake' itself, *any* of these have
their version numbers in the command name.  That's why I always
prefer a wrapper script.

Because most packages are distributed pre-auto-configured...

Sorry, you lost me on this.  Somehow, I fail to correlate your
statement with my statement above in any manner resulting in a
correlation of more than 0.05.

It just means that users don't need to worry about automake/autoconf
because the only thing that is run by ./configure is config.status.

What do the idiosyncracies of these auto* tools have in common with
the matter that packages come pre-autoconf'ed?  The point is, when I
*need* to run autoconf/make, I also need to know which version of
these tools the respective build infrastructure has been written for,
as the authors of these tools prefered to upgrade their tools in a way
that left backwards compatibility behind.  That's the reason why
FreeBSD always installs them with version numbers appended.

In a configure.ac file i have: AC_PREREQ(2.59).
This ensures that a recent enough version of Autoconf is being used.

I also put comments in configure.ac (which you could print out):

# This project constructed using:
#
#   autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
#   automake (GNU automake) 1.9.2