Re: [avr-libc-dev] reconf

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] reconf
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:44:44 -0700

Russell Shaw wrote:

E. Weddington wrote:

Paul Schlie wrote:

From: "E. Weddington" <address@hidden>
Joerg,

Do you think the version checking in the reconf script is strictly
necessary?
How do you feel about it's removal?

Personally wouldn't mind if all the reconf/doXXX scripts
disappeared in favor of an  updated configure/make.

(ideally using more recent autoXXX scripts if
someone can figure how to do it construct them)

Thank you for your opinion. Do you have a patch?

I looked at converting it to autoconf 2.59, but this
line in configure.in is the hard part:

  AC_OUTPUT(
    [if test -n "$CONFIG_FILES"; then
      . ${avrlib_basedir}/config-ml.in
    fi],
  )

config-ml is a big shell script dealing with multilibs.
I assume multilib was a cygnus thing for building the
libraries for *all* cpus. config-ml is full of cpus
except avr. It also says:

# We have to handle being invoked by both Cygnus configure and Autoconf.

So, being avr specific, should all this ancient multilib complication
be deleted?

Well it certainly needs to be fixed. Get rid of the extraneous cruft. But it's one of the tasks to do lib-per-device.

The other way is to save all the effort for putting avr-libc
into newlib or something.

We're going to stick with avr-libc for the time being and try to get it into a more ideal state. When that happens (it could be awhile), then we'll take a look and see what, if any, advantages there would be to moving to newlib.