[avr-libc-dev] Doing my own Tiny2313/Tiny13 libraries?

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Doing my own Tiny2313/Tiny13 libraries?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:15:19 -0500

>This situation is different than MOVW, which is clearly useful to
>the compiler, because it reduces code size (and the ABI was even
>changed to gain more from MOVW - that's why function args are
>aligned on even-numbered registers today) - it is quite a big loss
>if GCC can't (right now) use MOVW on ATtiny2313 etc.

I am using the Tiny2313 and about to start using Tiny13 in a new project.
So far I have not run into code that generated the MUL instruction.
Probably because it is a fairly simple project.

However my boss is about is about to start his first project using
the Tiny2313 and the first time using GCC.  I know his legacy code
is far more complex, but it is also already crammed full in
the 90S2313.  Anything that makes the code bigger will be a Bad Thing.
Bottom line is that if his code does not fit and/or work with GCC on
his first try he is going to make me port all of my code to IAR, and ban
use of GCC in the company.  Company sees 'free' software as "toys", they
are windows people that still think Linux is a "toy for hackers". :-(

I have seen mentioned that there is a possibility of creating per-devices
libraries to solve the MUL problem.  Is this something I can do myself?  What
do I need to do?