Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Revised release criteria for GCC 4.0

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Revised release criteria for GCC 4.0
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:08:44 -0700

Joerg Wunsch wrote:

. Write it completely in some SGML/XML dialect, without much other
 tools except of a good text editor.  This will allow for the most
 flexible output options
This is exactly what Docbook is, so we're thinking along the same lines. :-)

I personally feel
 the traditional man page + separate `handbook-style' documentation
 would help here.  I feel that the FreeBSD documentation is an
 excellent example here: man pages are maintained by the developers
 fairly strictly along with their source code modifications, while
 the handbook has developed into a well-structured, nicely written
 conceptual documentation that helps newcomers to find their way into
 using the software.

I would certainly agree to this format change (man page + handbook).