Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: AW: Register allocator / -fnew-ra issue

From: René Liebscher
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: AW: Register allocator / -fnew-ra issue
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:47:47 +0100

E. Weddington schrieb:
Björn Haase wrote:

<good stuff snipped>

4.)
Adapt the library functions that are written in assembler such that they are
compliant
with the modified ABI.

In my opinion, this way, we could possibly help the RA to make much better
use of the register
file.

*If* it can be shown with good test results, that this would work, then I would be willing to help out with changes to avr-libc. The other developers would have to offer their opinions as well. If is is good enough, then perhaps some of avr-libc could be translated back into C from assembly. IMO, the big issue with changing avr-libc would be the math / floating point library. We could really use someone who has expertise in this area.

There is a file ctoasm.inc in the sources of the math library. I think most changes have to be done there. (It defines some names like rP0, rP1 and so one for real registers like r25, r24 .)

Rene