Re: AW: [avr-libc-dev] Additional instruction patterns for or more effic

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: AW: [avr-libc-dev] Additional instruction patterns for or more efficient code using mixed QI/HI/SI expressions
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:51:45 -0700

Björn Haase wrote:

Hi,

I have been adding some specialized instruction patterns
for dealing with expresions that mix QI,HI and SI objects. (Tedious work.)

In addition to a bunch of specialized "combined" patterns, I would like to
suggest to
change the "copy_to_mode_reg" within the movsi and movhi "define_expand"s.
We could copy const_int values that could fit into 8 or 16 bit in QI or HI
registers instead and use the appropriate extension operations for promoting
the values to the HI/SI target modes on the fly.

In my opinion the main possible benefit of the suggested changes in the
machine description is that less registers are required.

Yours,

Björn

P.S.:

Could anyone give me an advice on how to write automized scripts for
checking compilation result on a simulator? I have tried to use
simulavr. I, however, did not succeed to build it under cygwin.

SimulAVR comes with WinAVR, so you can grab it from there. Alternatively I could build simulavr under Cygwin for you.

P.P.S.:

implementing at least plus:DI and minus:DI operations would be so easy. Any
reason, not to extend
the existing %Ax ... %Dx templates to the %Ax ... %Hx range and add the
corresponding plus:DI and
minus:DI patterns in the machine description?

I have forwarded this to both of the AVR GCC maintainers, Marek Michalkiewicz and Denis Chertykov as they are probably more capable and more familiar with this section of the AVR port.