[avr-libc-dev] Re: license audit changes

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: license audit changes
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:48:51 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, E. Weddington wrote:

> Theodore A. Roth wrote:
>
> >Eric,
> >
> >First off, not sure if I've said this yet, but thanks for doing all
> >the grunt work on this.
> >

> No problem. It needed to be done.
>
> >Second, I'm not too keen on relying on the mailing list archives for
> >documenting the license change permissions. I think it would be best to
> >add a dir in doc/ (possibly called LICENSE-Changes) with a README file
> >explaning the reasoning behind the changes and individual files for each
> >person's permision. The permission files should be the complete email
> >(including headers) you received.
> >

> Umm, I wished you had mentioned this part earlier. I don't think I've
> kept all of the responses; I *have* been relying on the archives. :-(
>
> Other than that, I don't have a problem with doing that.

Sorry about that. I didn't think about earlier (got a lot of other
things on the mind at the moment).

Let me know which ones you are missing. I probably have them somewhere
on my computer since I try to never delete any avr-libc emails.

Note that the archives mangle the email addresses to avoid harvesting. I
think you may also loose header info. I'd consider the archives a
"lossy" storage.

> >This would have the permisions to change licenses directly in the cvs
> >repository and protect against the (unlikely) event that the mail
> >archives are lost.
> >

> Agreed. Good idea.
>
> >One last nit. If you gather all the files together, could you let me do
> >the actual add/commit? When you add/commit using windows, the files show
> >up on unix systems with the executable permission bit set and I think
> >that is a bad thing in general. The only way to fix that is to ask the
> >savannah maintainers to manually change the exe bit on the files in the
> >repo itself.
> >

> Oh, sheesh, I had no idea. I'm using Cygwin, so I should be able to
> change the permissions here before I commit. If you don't mind, let me
> try it out here. I would hate to have to ask you (or Joerg) to commit
> each and every file when I'm changing something. I've been doing pretty
> good on line endings recently, and even keeping Tabs in the ChangeLog,
> though I disagree with the policy. :-) I'll have to add checking
> permission bits to my list too.

Ok, give it a try. Set the perms to 0664 before committing. The group
perms should be handled properly on the repo server but I don't think
you'll need to worry about that.

---
Ted Roth
PGP Key ID: 0x18F846E9