Re: [avr-libc-dev] Working with Atmega162 and STK500

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Working with Atmega162 and STK500
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 09:33:57 -0700

address@hidden wrote:

Thanks for the info Bernard!

But here's my problem:

I tried compiling my code for target atmega162 with the avrgcc
(avrgcc20011121a.exe) and it says that the device is not supported (while
atmega161 and atmega163) are supported.

That is a very old version and a no longer maintained release. Please *uninstall* it, and then install WinAVR.

Is it okay if I compile for target
atmega161 and but then download it on the atmega162 since there is not much
difference in the hardware specs between the two chips?

Also, WinAVR 3.4.1 seems to work for the target but then avr-objcopy gives me an
error saying "Invalid bfd target". Is there any way to get this working?

That's because you are trying to convert it to a different file type that is no longer supported. Again, *uninstall* the previous release first, then install WinAVR. Read the README file that is included with WinAVR.

To get a new project going, use the sample Makefile template that is included with WinAVR, and modify it according to your project needs. Alternatively, you can use MFile that is included with WinAVR to generate a Makefile for your project based on input that you provide. The Makefile template that MFile uses, is the same template that is included as the sample Makefile in WinAVR.

For a tutorial, see the WinAVR web site:
<http://winavr.sourceforge.net/document.html>

HTH