Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bugs #10329] crtm168.o is not being built

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bugs #10329] crtm168.o is not being built
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:27:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, E. Weddington wrote:

> Keith Gudger wrote:
>
> >Ted & Eric:
> >
> >I followed this thread because of a problem I found with avr-libc-1.0.4.
> >Hopefully you can tell me I'm all wet, but here's what happened:
> >
> >I got the avr-libc-1.0.4 tar, and built it.  Afterwords, the avr3, avr4,
> >and avr5 directories were no longer in my /usr/avr/lib directory, meaning
> >all of those devices were no longer supported.  My version of avr-gcc is:
> >

> I've been seing some of that here. I haven't yet mentioned it on the
> avr-libc list.
>
> I have a "avr-libc/avr-libc-1.0.4" dir which contains the source. I
> build in the "avr-libc/build" dir. The building process then creates:
> avr-libc/avr3
> avr-libc/avr4
> avr-libc/avr5
> that are parallel to the /build directory. I would have expected these
> directories to be under /build.
>
> But the good thing is that everything seems to build and install just
> fine for me. This is one reason why I haven't mentioned this yet. But, I
> could be the oddball here since I build on Cygwin. :-)

What you are seeing is correct and will happen on all systems, not just
cygwin. It's a side effect of the multi-lib build method. It's also
something I've always detested and would like to see go away, but the ML
part of configure is so complicated, even I don't understand all of how
it works (which is why I did the complete rewrite on the autoconf
branch).

---
Ted Roth
PGP Key ID: 0x18F846E9