Re: [avr-libc-dev] Can pgmspace.h __LPM_xxx__ macros become inline fn's?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Can pgmspace.h __LPM_xxx__ macros become inline fn's?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:23:11 -0600

Theodore A. Roth wrote:

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, E. Weddington wrote:

No. The inline functions _must_ be defined in the headers if they are
public interfaces. Private interfaces within a single C module don't
need to be in headers, but that is something other than what we are
discussing.

If a function is already compiled into a function in the library, then
how is it going to be inlined in your code?

You are still confusing a header and a C module. Think about how a macro
or an inline function is used and it should be less confusing.

And there are different functions for different architectures. Then
there is the issue of whether we want these to be inlined even when no
optimization is used (implying use of the always_inline attribute).

If you define the inline function in a header and include the header in
_your_ module, then it is specific the the arch you selected when
building your module. libc.a never comes into play in that case.

Ooo-kay. I think I've got it now. Sorry for all the hassle, but I appreciate the clarifications.

I think this is why I've avoided inline stuff to begin with: I never needed it and it seemed confusing to figure out. :-/