[avr-libc-dev] [support #103206] avrlib 1.0.4 installation on Linux

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [support #103206] avrlib 1.0.4 installation on Linux
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:20:18 -0400

This mail is an automated notification from the support tracker
 of the project: AVR C Runtime Library.

[support #103206] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Eric Weddington <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Thu 07/15/2004 at 15:17 (America/Denver)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
          Resolution | None                      | Works for me
              Status | Open                      | Closed

First, the project is "avr-libc" not avr-lib.

Probably the GCC and binutils that you have installed is targetted to your
computer,i.e. the generate code for your computer and not the AVR.

You need to build binutils and GCC that run on Linux, but are targeted to the
AVR (generate code for the AVR). This commonly called a cross-compiler.

The binutils and GCC that are targeted to the AVR are then used to build
avr-libc.

Take a look at the avr-libc user manual. Inside are directions on how to build
binutils, gcc, avr-libc and other projects for the AVR. Here's the relevant
page online.
http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html

[support #103206] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: AVR C Runtime Library
Submitted by: 0
On: Thu 07/15/2004 at 14:32

Category:  None

Original Submission:  Hi! I'm a new Linux user, so sometimes I make something
wrong. I'm trying to install avrlib in Linux but doconf say "Wrong C compiler
found". I've installed GCC 3.3 and latest binutils available. I've seen that
GCC are in /usr/local/bin, so I try to change PREFIX string in doconf from
/usr/local to /usr/local/bin. What have I done wrong ?

Thank you

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Thu 07/15/2004 at 15:17       By: arcanum
First, the project is "avr-libc" not avr-lib.

Probably the GCC and binutils that you have installed is targetted to your
computer,i.e. the generate code for your computer and not the AVR.

You need to build binutils and GCC that run on Linux, but are targeted to the
AVR (generate code for the AVR). This commonly called a cross-compiler.

The binutils and GCC that are targeted to the AVR are then used to build
avr-libc.

Take a look at the avr-libc user manual. Inside are directions on how to build
binutils, gcc, avr-libc and other projects for the AVR. Here's the relevant
page online.
http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html

Eric

For detailed info, follow this link: