[avr-libc-dev] RFC: Libc versioning

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] RFC: Libc versioning
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:41:56 -0700 (PDT)

This should really be discussed on the avr-libc-dev mailing list, so
I've moved it over there.

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Svein E. Seldal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am considering the ability to get the avr-libc version from an
> installed library. AFAIK this feature is missing. (If I'm wrong, please
> tell me where I can find it :) )
>
> My initial suggestion will be to make a define in a header, similar to
> GCC's __GNUC__ and __GNUC_MINOR__:
>
> #define __AVRLIBC__ xxx
> #define __AVRLIBC_MINOR xxx
>
> Any ideas of which file to put them in?

See attached patch.

> My secondary suggestion would be to be able to retrieve the avr-libc
> version from the installed libc.a - but still without being linked into
> the application (unless explicityly requested).

This should be easy with my patch. Just create the file
libc/misc/version.c and have it #include <avr/version.h>.

> I can probably prepare a patch for libc for this, but I would like to
> discuss this with the community first.

Please do and post it to the avr-libc-dev list.

I'll commit my patch if that makes it easier for you.

> Any comments or questions?

Thanks.

---
Ted Roth