Re: [avr-libc-dev] code bits

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] code bits
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:46:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> As address@hidden wrote:
>
> > we have ported some crypto related code to AVR (atmega128) that
> > might be interesting for others, possibly to include in libc or make
> > libcrypto.  There is mpi - arbitrary precision library and various
> > ciphers (AES, XTea, Twofish). For now it is part of sign application
> > (open source) for Turbo Adapter (see www.bladox.com). Any interest?
>
> An arbitrary precision lib might be useful to some people.
>
> I'm somewhat reluctant about including crypto code, because there are
> still some countries (like France) with strong limitations about
> cryptographic software.  Thus, it requires extending the build/
> Makefile etc. infrastructure so the ``forbidden'' bits could be built
> and distributed completely separated from the standard avr-libc.
> Political nonsense. :-((

On top of that, crypto is _very_ hard to do correctly. Maintaining
crypto in the avr-libc would not be a good idea in my opinion. I don't
have the skill to do it and doubt that any of the other maintainers do
either (no offense meant). Maintenance of crypto code should be left to
an expert.

---
Ted Roth
PGP Key ID: 0x18F846E9