Re: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] per-device crt/libs; autoconf/automake update

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] per-device crt/libs; autoconf/automake update
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 10:39:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> As Theodore A. Roth wrote:
>
> > > I'm all for it.  Preferrably, I'd like to see it happen without moving
> > > the sources around in CVS though, i. e. all compiles into a single large
> > > library.
>
> > This should be trivial now. I think the attached patch is all that is
> > needed.
>
> The patch is really trivial.  Just curious, would it be much more
> difficult if C source files suddenly appeared in avr-libc/libm/fplib/?

I've just added the stubs to the build system to make this really
trivial. All you need to do to add C source files is add the name of the
file to the *_c_source variable in the Files.am file the source dir. The
files will automagically be built.

> Also, I think we should deprecate and eventually remove libm in the
> long run.

We could do that. No hurry though. It costs us virtually nothing to
supply a full libm.a file since the sources files get built once and
then stuffed into both archives. If we wanted libm.a to be just an empty
place holder, we could just stuff a dummy.c file into the archive. In
the end, where the functions come from will be transparent to the end
user.

I have committed (to the autoconf branch) the patch to merge libm with
libc.

---
Ted Roth
PGP Key ID: 0x18F846E9