Re: [avr-libc-dev] more ac branch updates

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] more ac branch updates
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 14:04:53 +0200

As Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> This autoconf manual has a lot to say about portable shell programming:
>

> http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.57/html_node/autoconf_114.html#SEC114

Yeah, I seem to remember you've already mentioned it once.

I can see the 2.11BSD source code still has the 32-char interpreter
name limit, yet not the "#! /" magic number handling mentioned there,
i. e. they truly parsed the #! sign.  Not that I'd expect avr-libc to
be compilable on a PDP-11 hosted 2.11BSD though. :-))  (I doubt it
would even compile Perl...)

> > I'm a bit surprised that parallel builds seem to scale rather
> > poorly, both on your dual Xeon, as well as on the 4x UltraSPARC
> > here.

> We're probably IO bound since we have so many small files to
> compile.  One then we can try is forcing make to compile each device
> dir as a unit and then do the units in parallel.

Maybe, yes.  I could try compiling in a memory filesystem, and see
whether that would speed up things (which it should if we were IO
bound).