Re: [avr-libc-dev] more ac branch updates

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] more ac branch updates
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:18:04 +0200

As Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> > ./bootstrap: ./devtools/gen-avr-lib-tree.sh: not found
>
> If updated and existing tree to the autoconf branch you might need to
> use the -dP option to cvs update. It's probably best to just do a clean
> checkout of the branch though.

Sure, that's hardwired into my fingers. ;-)

> The devtools/gen-avr-lib-tree.sh script is definitely in cvs though.

Yep, I should have looked closer.  I've been fooled by the above
message...  You've got #!/bin/bash there -- which does not exist.
It's part of the way how execve(2) works that it just reports ENOENT
in that case, even though the script itself /does/ exist, yet the
interpreter doesn't.

Would you mind changing that to the generic #!/bin/sh?  As far as I
can tell, there are not even Posix-shell-dependant features in that
script, let alone bash-dependent ones (IOW, everything is compatible
to the plain old UNIX V7 Bourne shell :).

> To build a cross-compiler with the configure generated by the newer
> autoconf/automake tools, you have to specify --build and --host and they
> must be different. I tried really hard to have it automagically set in
> configure.ac, but they've changed the internals making it difficult if
> not impossible to do.

I don't mind that much.  When building the FreeBSD ports, that can
easily be wired into their Makefile infrastructure.

The build times I'm getting are:

. 1x AthlonXP 1100 workstation         4:30
. 1x Athlon 900 workstation            5:00
. 4x UltraSPARC 296 server (make -j4) 11:00

That seems to be without docs still?