Re: [avr-libc-dev] (Fwd) elf/dwarf support in WinAVR

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] (Fwd) elf/dwarf support in WinAVR
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:17:46 -0600

On 27 Apr 2004 at 9:50, Torleif Sandnes wrote:

>  > I'm completely ignorant of the DWARF2 format. Is the .debug_frame section >
>  required for the format?
>
> No, .debug_frame is not required. But to be able to unwind the callstack,
> the information from this section is necessary.
>
>  >> and that the bitfield information was somewhat odd.
>  >
>  > What was odd about it?
>
> Well, most of it was ok, but DW_AT_member_location seems to consequently equal
> -1 (ff ff ff ff) for the first member of a bitfield. DW_AT_member_location is
> an
> attribute of a structural member that indicates its offset in relation to the
> start of the struct.
>
> Maybe all DW_AT_member_locations are offset by -1?
> I will look for empirical evidence. ;)

You'll probably have to talk to the gcc developers about all this.

BTW, going back to your original question, if it's that easy to add DWARF
support (just with a configure option), then yes, the next version of WinAVR
can have support built in for it. However, I currently have no idea when that
will be.