Re: [avr-libc-dev] (Fwd) elf/dwarf support in WinAVR

From: Torleif Sandnes
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] (Fwd) elf/dwarf support in WinAVR
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:50:21 +0200

> I'm completely ignorant of the DWARF2 format. Is the .debug_frame section
> required for the format?

No, .debug_frame is not required. But to be able to unwind the callstack,
the information from this section is necessary.

>> and that the bitfield information was somewhat odd.
>
> What was odd about it?

Well, most of it was ok, but DW_AT_member_location seems to consequently equal -1 (ff ff ff ff) for the first member of a bitfield. DW_AT_member_location is an attribute of a structural member that indicates its offset in relation to the start of the struct.

Maybe all DW_AT_member_locations are offset by -1?
I will look for empirical evidence. ;)

Torleif