[avr-libc-dev] [patch #2651] signal and UART reisters name consistency

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [patch #2651] signal and UART reisters name consistency
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:42:06 -0400

This mail is an automated notification from the patch tracker
 of the project: AVR C Runtime Library.

[patch #2651] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Theodore A. Roth <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Tue 04/20/04 at 23:42 (US/Pacific)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
          Resolution | None                      | Fixed
              Status | Open                      | Closed

The register parts of this patch for the mega169 where done in the fix for bug
#8452 (in cvs now).

The SIG_USART[01]_* changes for the mega162 will not be applied (this part is a
WONT_FIX).

The SIG_USART_* changes for mega169 will be in cvs by the time  this patch is
closed out.

I have posted some patches to the avr-libc dev list which allow gcc to generate
an error if a signal name is misspelled which make the "_UART_SIGNAME_ERR +"
hack suggested un-needed (assuming my patches go in).

[patch #2651] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: AVR C Runtime Library
Submitted by: 0
On: Fri 02/20/04 at 12:27

Category:  None

Original Submission:  Beacuse m162 has only one UART then it is a little messy
to use 0 in macro names.
In the avr-libc (except of m169.h) there are used UART prefixes not USART.

Maybe it is also worth to prohibit users against using old names of macros,
adding something like:

#define _UART_SIGNAME_ERR       +
#define SIG_UART0_RECV  _UART_SIGNAME_ERR
#define SIG_UART0_DATA  _UART_SIGNAME_ERR
#define SIG_UART0_TRANS _UART_SIGNAME_ERR

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Wed 04/07/04 at 16:58         By: troth
Actually, more than the m169 use USART. If the data sheet says USART, I've been
told to use USART.

The current m169 header uses SIG_UART0_*. That should probably be changed to
SIG_USART_*.

The m162 SIG_USART[01]_* probably shouldn't be changed.

Personally, I'd rather see all the signal names for all devices reduced down to
common and consistent names. We are already divergent from the datasheets with
respect to interrupt vector names and simplification would reduce the chance of
using the wrong SIG_* name (which gcc can't even catch and will generate the
wrong code).

I'd like to hear some more comments on this patch before we take action.

File Attachments

Date: Fri 02/20/04 at 12:27  Name: iom162_169_h.patch  Size: 3KB   By: None
patch for iom162.h and iom169.h
http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/download.php?item_id=2651&amp;item_file_id=2755