[avr-libc-dev] [patch #2876] Extend pgmspace.h with pgm_read_long()

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [patch #2876] Extend pgmspace.h with pgm_read_long()
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:26:07 -0400

This mail is an automated notification from the patch tracker
 of the project: AVR C Runtime Library.

[patch #2876] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Theodore A. Roth <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Fri 04/16/04 at 18:26 (US/Pacific)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
          Resolution | None                      | Fixed
              Status | Open                      | Closed

This has been committed to both HEAD and 1.0 branches.

[patch #2876] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: AVR C Runtime Library
Submitted by: 0
On: Tue 03/30/04 at 14:22

Category:  None

Original Submission:  The header file pgmspace.h

/* $Id: pgmspace.h,v 1.16.2.2 2003/09/18 18:41:17 troth Exp $ */

does not support pgm_read_long(). I suggest to extend this
file by applying the attached patch.

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Fri 04/16/04 at 18:26         By: troth
This has been committed to both HEAD and 1.0 branches.

Date: Thu 04/08/04 at 18:04         By: arcanum
I'm all right with that! Great idea! Wish I'd thought of it... :-)

Date: Thu 04/08/04 at 17:26         By: troth
I've updated the patch changing long to dword.

In the end, I think it would just be better to drop the word notation and just
use these:

pgm_read_uint8()
pgm_read_uint16()
pgm_read_uint32()

There's absolutely no ambiguity with those names. Alas, this can't be done in
the 1.0 branch since it would break compatibility. Although, we could have the
old names as aliases for the proposed *_uint* names and mark the old as
deprecated. That's a separate patch from this one though.

Date: Wed 04/07/04 at 17:11         By: arcanum
Should the naming of the macros be consistent? Right now, we have:
pgm_read_byte()
pgm_read_word()

Wouldn't the next logical name be: pgm_read_dword()?

Not pgm_read_long()? Since the meaning of "long" in C can change (or will
change) with the use of -mint8.

Date: Wed 04/07/04 at 16:37         By: troth
There's a few copy/paste errors in the originally submitted patch.

Also, the original patch didn't include any context information. For future
reference, please try to submit patches generated using diff's "-u" option.
This makes the patch easier to read (most of the time) and allows the patch
program to apply the patch to a file that may have been modified since the diff
was generated.

I've attached an updated patch which fixes the copy/paste errors I noticed.

I don't have any objections to applying this patch to HEAD or 1.0 since it is a
simple extension of the API.

I'll try to get it into 1.0.4, but I need to do a better review of the inline
asm first. So far, from a quick review it looks ok to me.

File Attachments
-------------------

Date: Thu 04/08/04 at 17:26  Name: avr-libc-patch-2876-2.diff  Size: 7KB   By:
troth
Change long to dword for consistency. Patch is against current cvs head.
http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/download.php?item_id=2876&amp;item_file_id=3083

Date: Wed 04/07/04 at 16:37  Name: avr-libc-patch-2876.diff  Size: 7KB   By:
troth
Updated version of original patch. Fixes copy/paste errors and includes context.
http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/download.php?item_id=2876&amp;item_file_id=3071

Date: Tue 03/30/04 at 14:22  Name: pgmspace.h.patch  Size: 5KB   By: None

http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/download.php?item_id=2876&amp;item_file_id=3027

For detailed info, follow this link: