Re: [avr-libc-dev] Licensing issue

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Licensing issue
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:41:04 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> As address@hidden wrote:
>
> > I would like to have a single text that would cover the entire
> > library, so that I would not have to trace down exactly what files
> > are used in each project, whatever gets linked in is
> > covered. Ideally it also would be concise and not take 20 pages to
> > print.
>
> The problem is, even if I'll eventually finish that mini-project to
> provide a single boiled-down version of all the individual copyright
> notices, legally, you're bound to what the individual files do state.
> After all, avr-libc might be a nice project, but it's not a legal
> entity, so there's no other option for all the developers than putting
> their name on top of the file, and copy another copyright statement
> right over there.
>
> That's the legal status.  Even for more formalized projects, like
> FreeBSD (where I've spent a lot of time as well), I've seen large
> companies (like Nokia) violate the very basic requirements of the (not
> very strict) BSD-style copyright.  So as long as you adhere to the
> spirit of the individual copyrights, and just mention a list of the
> developers plus the copyright notice itself, I think you'll do a great
> job on this, and nobody will sue you for that.  (So far, I didn't sue
> Nokia either, even though they clearly violate at least one of my own
> copyrights. ;-)

I agree with Joerg on this.

I think if you just list the copyrights as you have already posted, and
a copyright of one of the BSD licenses, everyone will be happy and
consider you as having met the requirements of the license.

All the license really boils down to is granting you the right to use
the code as you like as long you give credit where credit is due.

Ted Roth