Re: [avr-libc-dev] RfR: <avr/timer.h>

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] RfR: <avr/timer.h>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:13:34 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> > RfR -- request for removal. ;-)
>
> Oh! Would you! Please! :-)

Allright.  I did it.

As Clemens Buchacher wrote:

> I think the TCCR and TCNT registers are mixed up as well. It should be
> just the other way round.

Thanks for pointing it out.  Since we gotta maintain that file for a
while in the 1.0 branch, I'll see to fix this there as well.

> I submitted a patch that should work for ATmega128, but I don't know
> if that's what you want for <avr/timer.h>.

Yes, I've seen that later after writing that initial mail, but I'd
rather not maintain that file any longer.  It contained only pretty
pointless `functions', and only handled timer 0.  You've spent a lot
of work into making this basically complete for the ATmega128, sorry
for that work now that there was already agreement about removing the
file.  OTOH, you didn't document (doxygenify) your work either ;-),
and most of the function-like macros are basically nothing else but
a simple

REG = value;

thing, so I don't see much point in maintaining a separate copy of
these macros.

I see you've also added macros for the various timer/counter modi.  If
people agree that maintaining macros like these in a header file, we
can always resurrect it from the Attic of CVS, provided someone also
fills in the missing pieces for the other controllers, /and/ the file
is documented.  Given that the various controller differ a lot in
their timer/counter equipment (and often use slightly different bit
definitions), I think it's a lot of maintenance work though for only
little real effect.