Re: [avr-libc-dev] Bug in EEPROM handling routines of avr-libc .?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Bug in EEPROM handling routines of avr-libc .?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:44:33 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> >    Today I h
> > ve tried in vain to use the library functions of avr-libc
> >    for reading
> > nd writing the EEPROM of a atmega169 device.

> Yes, that is a bug.

Not really.  As it is now, it has simply been stated in the
documentation that the EEPROM library is not applicable to the
ATmega169.  This is a feature, though arguably not a very nice
one.

Given the current library model that only uses different library
object files for the four major `architectures' (avr2 through avr5),
there's no chance to have a specially compiled library for just the
ATmega169.  If we want to resolve this issue (aren't there further
devices with different register locations, like maybe the USB AVRs?),
we'd better completely give up the `architecture' model, and create
one .a file for each supported controller.  After all, the files
aren't that large at all, and the major part of the build time is
already required to build the docs, not the actual library.  (A change
like this one would also be a good occasion to eliminate the separate
libm.a, and integrate all their functions into libc.a.)

p.s.: Björn, the formatting of your message is what I'd call ``close
to be unreadable''.